SAN FRANCISCO GIANT RACE PRESENTED BY ALASKA AIRLINES
RACE WEEK FAQ
You may be running virtually, but your awards & bragging rights are very real…
Our virtual race allows you to participate in the San Francisco Giant Race presented by Alaska Airlines remotely, anywhere and anytime that works best for you!
Virtual Race? What’s that?
Running virtually allows Giant Racers to participate in our event remotely while receiving a finishers medal, commemorative bobblehead, performance shirt, neck gaiter and other race goodies in the mail.
What do I have to do to earn my finisher medal, bragging rights, awards, etc.?
HOW IT WORKS:
Step 1: REGISTER for the 2020 San Francisco Giant Race presented by Alaska Airlines HERE.
Step 2: Run/Walk and record your distance using the RunKeeper app OR you can manually upload your times to the results page.
Step 3: You can complete the race distance on your own time, anywhere of your choosing September 1st – September 8th.
Step 4: Receive said medal in the mail! (due to shelter in place, items will be sent in early November)
Will running virtually still make me eligible for the Giant Race Series Awards? (Turn Two, Three Bagger & Series Sweep Awards)
Yes! All awards will be shipped AFTER The San Francisco Giant Race Weekend. *Awards & other race goodies will only be mailed domestically unless special arrangements are made.
Who can sign up to run virtually?
Anyone is eligible to sign up for any virtual distance offered. *Awards & other race goodies will only be mailed domestically unless special arrangements are made.
Where do I run/walk this event?
You can run on the route of your choosing. Please remember to avoid running in large groups and wear a mask when appropriate.
When do I complete my race?
You can complete your race any time between September 1st – September 8th, and the distance is intended to be completed all at once. There is no time limit to complete your race. Submitting your results is optional, but we encourage you to do so!
Health & safety tips for fire and smoke?
Due to the ongoing poor air quality in the region, please continue to monitor the Air Quality Index (AQI) in your local community. Be smart and only run or walk outside when it’s safe to do so. We have extended the window to run/walk virtually from September 1st – September 8th, to allow for more flexibility.
Multiple event distances or participants under one Race Roster account?
If you signed up for more than one distance within the same event, or signed up multiple individuals for the same event, please visit your Race Roster dashboard, select this event and then use the “Connect to App”button for each event distance or person. To send to a friend, copy and paste that connect to app button link and share it with them.
How to record your participation with the Runkeeper app?
To record your participation with the Runkeeper app, you will need to track your activity using your phone or with a connected wearable. You can follow these step-by-step instructions (with images) on how to track your participation using the ASICS Runkeeper™ app.
Tracking with your FitBit, Garmin, or Apple Watch?
You can track your participation using your FitBit, Garmin, or Apple Watch earlier. You must download the Runkeeper app and connect your device prior to starting your activity. Follow these steps to add your FitBit, Garmin, or Apple Watch activity to the Runkeeper app.
How to ensure your activity is tracked correctly?
Please make sure you run the full distance (to the decimal point) to ensure your result is posted.
Note: If you run farther than the required distance, the ASICS Runkeeper™ app will post your fastest segment.
How to manually post your results on Race Roster?
Follow these steps to manually post your results on Race Roster (not using the app).
Take pictures out there! Get creative and share your images and stories and tag us on social using @giantrace and #giantrace
We look forward to seeing your name on the results board. Remember that you can run or walk your distance!
If you are having technical issues connecting to the ASICS Runkeeper™please contact email@example.com. All other questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracking Your Virtual Race
TRACKING STEPS FOR YOUR VIRTUAL RACE:
We’ve partnered with Race Roster and the ASICS Runkeeper™ app to upload your Virtual San Francisco Giant Race.
Below you’ll find detailed instructions and FAQs on how to track your participation between Tuesday, September 1st – Tuesday, September 8th:
🌐 Downloading the Run Keeper App
- Simply click the link that is included in your confirmation email and follow the on-screen directions!
📡 Syncing your Device (If you’re using the Run Keeper app & your phone to track your run/walk, or doing a manual upload, you can skip this section)
- From the ASICS Runkeeper™ app home screen, tap the 3 horizontal lines in the top left corner
- Tap the grey “Settings” tab on the bottom left
- Scroll down to “Apps, Services and Devices” (about halfway down the screen)
- Tap it and choose the services and devices you’d like to connect from the list provided.
- Wait 10-15 minutes for the connection to finalize. Now you’re all set!
- Having issues? Follow these instructions with images to get you San Francisco Giant Race ready!
Remember: if you are using a device, sync BEFORE you run and AFTER you’ve downloaded the Run Keeper app and set-up your account.
📱⌚👟 How to track your run/walk using the ASICS Runkeeper™ app (Become Verified):
- From your mobile device, go to your Race Roster dashboard
- Click on the “Start virtual run” button, where you will be asked to confirm your name, which then adds the San Francisco Giant Race virtual to your app
- Revisit the ASICS Runkeeper™ app on September 1-8. When you are ready to run, click the flag symbol (right hand side, 3rd logo down) and select the race to start recording. You can either tap “start” to begin your run/walk & track it using Run Keeper and your phone OR simply choose to upload your previous activity that has since been synced via your device and the steps in the section above.
- Save your miles or longer activity and your results will automatically be posted on the leaderboard if your device is synced or if you are using your phone. If you’d prefer to do a manual upload, simply follow step (3) above and choose “Manual Upload” instead.
- Your results will then be posted in the leaderboard, and you’ll be sent an email link where you can view the leaderboard, click your name in the results to view your time & place, along with your finisher’s certificate which is shareable and downloadable 😊 🏆
*If you are planning on using a Garmin watch, Apple watch or fitbit, please see specific instructions below on how to record run
Limitations to note
At this time, the Runkeeper app is unable to link to Suunto, Coros or Polar, but you can use your iPhone or Android. You may also manually upload your times using your preferred device to the results page.